Re: [ST] 1500 miles in a little over 3 days into PA, MD, WV on my new bike.....

Sorry to hear that PA 44 was tar/chip. It was fine in the middle of August
during the RAT Raid. Honest. That crap happens so fast around here... One
week you have a nice bike road, the next week it's covered in freaking
gravel....

As you mention, WV 250 west of Fairmont was the highlight of the route. It's
hard to beat that road around here. There's some comparable stuff in
southeastern Ohio (part of my Ultimate Twisty loop), but you'd never have
been able to get to it.

Glad you had a good time and arrived safely. PA roads aren't known for being
in the best of shape. Some blame the freeze/thaw cycles in our winters,
others blame corruption in the PA Dept. of Transportation (WV and OH don't
have these problems, yet have similar weather). We live for the little
sections of nice road in an otherwise pleasant, but unremarkable, road. You
know, those 5 - 10 mile stretches of good, curvy pavement between the
funkier stuff and towns. That's why we go to WV and OH for a good day of
riding. I tried to string as much of the good stuff together as I could.
It's certainly the same roads I would travel if doing a similar loop.

Did you stop at the Cool Springs Mega Mall on 50 in WV? You missed the best
part of 219 by taking 50 west at Red House. That long downhill section of
hairpins with horrible bumpy, crap pavement is why I suggested you take 219
south to Parsons, then 72 back north to 50. You get some killer sweepers in
the Mon Natl Forest shortly after the jct 50 and you skip the crap part of
50.

Garry