[ST] Triumph's Reponse to a Riding Gear Question

Hi All,

I just wanted to let all of you know about a surprising answer I got
from Triumph on question I had about the Triumph Raptor Jeans I acquired
earlier this summer.  I live in Texas, and I like to ride with good
gear, even in 100 degree heat.  When I got my Raptor Jeans, I noted that
they did not have hip pads, but did have a spot where they can be
inserted.  I thought I would try other pads I had to see if they would
work (they didn't).  When my husband got a pair of Raptor pants a couple
of months later, his came with hip armor.  At that point, I was
wondering if a mistake hadn't been made with my pair.  I started asking
questions, and my dealer eventually said they didn't think the ladies
pants came with hip armor.  BTW, I have since found that Triumph's
website describes the pants a coming with hip armor and does not
differentiate between the men's and women's versions.

Since I wanted to make sure this was the case, I e-mailed Peter Carleo
who pulled stock in Atlanta to find that the women's Raptor jeans did
not have hip armor.  He then e-mailed the U.K. to make sure this was
correct.  Here is what Peter learned, and my response to him:

Lisa,
Sorry that it took so long to get a reply from the UK, but I am informed now. They say that the foam padding is intentionally left out of the Women's raptor jeans. There is a pocket on each side for the pad. If a customer wishes, they could get some padding and insert it themselves into those pockets.
Let me know if I may be of further service.
Thanks
Peter J. Carleo

MY RESPONSE:

Peter,

First, THANK YOU for tracking down the answer to my question!  I have
one more favor to ask, and that is for you to forward my response to the
U.K. . . .

I really am dissappointed that Triumph thinks that women's hips need
less protection than men's hips, and obviously they have never tried to
acquire armor separately from the clothing it is to fit.  While I
realize that some people (women and men) are vain enough not to want the
extra padding on their hips, they are not likely to be the ones buying
vented protective gear.  If I was concerned about looking "good" while
on my motorcycle in the Texas heat, I wouldn't be wearing cordura of ANY
kind.  A smarter, less discriminatory policy would be for Triumph to
include the hip pads in ALL its Raptor Jeans and let the individual
decide.  It is also unfair (deceptive?) to market the jeans as coming
with armor and not making a disclaimer regarding the women's version,
and to charge the same amount for the jeans with and without armor.

I was delighted when Triumph started making women's gear, but if it is
going to have this type of discriminatory policy, I will not be buying
any more of it.  I want to have the same options regarding protective
gear as male riders and I will buy my motorcycle gear from companies
that are striving to give me the same options as they do their male
customers.

I would also like to think that my opinion matters, since my husband and
I have owned 5 Triumphs since 1998 ('98 Sprint Exec., 2 '99 Sprint STs,
and 2 '03 Tigers) which we have put over 100,000 miles on, collectively,
since 1998.  We have also had an influence on others who have acquired
Triumph motorcycles and riding gear.  We will also have an influence in
the future . . . . .  [END RESPONSE]

I just thought other female riders out there and those of you who have
wives that ride would find this very interesting.  Hip pads are a small
deal, unless that's where you land . . . . .

Triumph won't change its policy unless it knows there are people that
object to it, which is why I sent my e-mail and have taken the position
I have regarding its riding gear.

I also guess I have taken this personally, as to me, this says that
Triumph cares less about my physical safety than it does my husband's.
It makes one think. . . . . .

Lisa White
Tomball, TX
'99 Sprint ST