Re: [ST] 2005 ST power

> 2) The power figures we've seen are close to being accurate. Hopefully that
> was a rwhp # someone posted but I am sure it was @ the crank. Anybody know?

It's at the crank. 2005 factory specs are posted on the Team Triumph web site. They increased the stroke by 10% and it appears (my speculation only) left everything else the same. That's only a 5% increase in the "lever arm" the piston works against, hence you get a 5% increase in torque.

My guess it that there's nothing new in the top end aside from a new crank. Appears to be the easiest way to get a modest performance bump at little cost (uses existing pistons, valvetrain, conrods, etc). I could be totally wrong here, but suspect they cheaped out on a full motor redesign. Boring it out 3.8mm instead of lengthening the stroke would yield the same displacment, but would make for a 10% increase in power (10% larger piston top area), assuming they got the same "boom" (more fuel required for larger combustion volume due to larger bore). Boring it out would require lots more new parts though. I think they probably shot their wad in 2002 when the bumped up the compression, bigger airbox, and whatnot. The only place to go from here is bigger.

- - Garry