Re: [ST] Front Tire Wear

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:38:13AM -0400, Ken Mitchell wrote:
> In my experience, tire pressure DOESN'T affect life of the tire nor cupping.
> I used to get bad cupping on fairly new Dunlop K70's on my '73 Bonneville,
> but never saw it again until Bridgestone BT-020's on my RS.

Both the BT020 and the BT010 cupped horribly on my VFR.

> Damned if I know what really causes it, but my suspension guy (P. Kates at
> GMD Computrack Boston) says it's caused by tire design, and worsened by poor
> damping of the forks.

One of Avon's national sales reps told me that cupping is mostly due to
the design of the tread.  Under braking, the "blocks" of rubber between
the tread grooves roll backward and the leading edge is worn away.
That's why the Azaro has large tread blocks and the tread pattern
"swoops" along the tire instead of across it.  Made sense to me, as
tires like the AV45 and Pilot Road don't seem to exhibit this tendency
as much.

Laters,
Brian
- --