[ST] Riding with Doggy Do

No, nothing to do with John M's story (very nice tale, btw).  It's more
about riding with one of the masters 'round here.  I just got back from a
week in SoCal (Oceanside, to be exact), seeing my kids and grandkids (yeah,
I'm a grandpa, too young, but true).  I also had the supreme pleasure of
meeting Don Draper (aka Doggy Do, aka ole T-Bone).  What a great guy!!!  He
was so generous to allow me to ride his 2000 RS and rode along on his VERY
competent '84 VF-1000 Interceptor.

We hooked up on Tuesday, last, at 10 a.m. right near his bike storage unit.
I also had the honor of checking out his pristine and highly modified HD
XR-1000, very sweet.  We geared up and headed over the Ortega Highway and
stopped for a bite at Hell's Kitchen.  Not many bikers there at 11 on a
Tuesday, but a good burger and then off to the hills.

Now when I say "hills" I mean really, some back roads that don't seem to
even have names, much less numbers.  Don began explaining the routes he was
planning, and another friend of mine, riding a BMW 1200 Cruiser, began to
look a bit pale, and started breathing hard, he looked dizzy.  They went
back and forth a bit, me, I didn't have the slightest idea what they were
talking about, but Don's idea of "fun" backroads seemed to have spooked my
friend Bill.  He quickly made excuses and headed back down the Ortega.  We
headed for the hills.

I immediately realized why Bill begged off.  The road we turned onto was
little more than a single track of asphalt running off to God knows where.
Don had told me earlier, when me motioned me past to just take off at my own
pace and wait at the next intersection.  I never had to wait long.  What a
BLAST !!!  This road was like a paved enduro route.  Don has outfitted his
RS with LSI flat-track bars and it was the perfect mount for this road.  I
had more fun than I can describe, all the while thinking what misery Bill
would have been in on the cruiser, smart lad to turn back.

The rest of the day was just a blur of one excellent road, each one
seemingly topping the last.  We were on fast sweepers, tiny hairpin
backroads and everything in between.  I remember Corser Canyon and Lilac
Road, but not many others names.  Don has promised to map out the entire
route and send it to me.  I haven't had that much fun on a day ride, without
killing something, in longer than I can remember.

And Don?  At 69??  Is without doubt one of the quickest, and all around best
riders I've ever had the pleasure to ride with.  A true "Master".

Words alone cannot express my appreciation, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks, Doggy
Do.  I owe ya, big time.

STeveDuncan
Corinth, Tejas
'00-ST, Red and such