Re: [ST] Tech Info

This thread really makes me want to laugh.

In 20,000+ miles on the original DID:
- - I have never cleaned it and I ride year round except when there is ice
or snow on the roads which means that all kinds of kack gets on it.
- - I have only had to adjust the tension three times. I check it every
other time that I lube it.
- - I lube every 200-400 miles with Honda Pro Chain Lube.
- - Last time I checked it had two slight tight spots.
- - It's beginning to show signs of stretch. I figure I'm good for another
2,000+ miles.

On my previous ST I had 12,000+ miles on the original Regina at the time
of it's untimely demise at the hands of a left turning Volvo:
- - I cleaned the chain roughly every 2,500 miles with Honda brake cleaner
which Honda says is OK for X and O ring chains.
- - The last time I cleaned it I used WD-40. One week later it developed
some bad tight spots.
- - The day before it died I had ordered a new chain and sprockets.
- - The day it died I had it in for servicing and the tech told me that it
had some bad tight spots, thus confirming my suspicions. I made a vow
never to use WD-40 again to clean it.
- - Shortly after its death I wanted to wrap the chain and all its tight
spots around the throat of the Volvo driver and see just how tight those
spots were.

So there you have it folks. Based on my experience I don't advise
cleaning your chain at all. Especially with the infamous Water
Displacement #40.

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth