[ST] SB 1021 Again

Just another noodge to ask folks to send a fax to the Senate Transportation Committee staffer who is managing the hearing. On April 19, we'll be heard and given the broad level of support (AMA, ABATE, California Bicycle Coalition, CHP and AAA are neutral - which is a win), there's a good change that given a show of support for the bill, it'll pass the 1st time.

The bill will add an infraction for "unsafe operation" which is defined as violating one of the right-of-way statutes (run a red light, stop sign, turn left, etc.) and causing injury. We're working on adding a provision on killing someone, and that will happen somewhere in the process, and also working on a provision requiring the DMV to add copy emphasizing the issue in future instructional materials (not recalling any of the existing stuff).

You can read it here:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_1001-1050/sb_1021_bill_20050222_introduced.html

Drop me a note offlist of there are any wuestions, but what I'm asking is that you send a fax in support to:

California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee
Carrie Cornwell, Chief Consultant
(carrie.cornwall@xxxxxxxxxx)
State Capitol, Room 2209
Sacramento, CA 95814