Re: [ST] New ST

I just purchased a DRZs to play on as well. The bike rocks -- but I think I'm going to be spending more money on the aftermarket for that bike than the ST this year -- there's just so much cool stuff out there for it compared to the Triumph....

John in NJ
'01 BRG ST

From: Garry Simmons <garrysimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] New ST
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 9:38:22 -0400

---- Erik Miner <eeminer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So has anyone ridden it yet?? Bought one yet? THINKING about buying
> one???? Come on people we all cried about the changes needed to make the
> ST better and no is trading in for the 05?? I for one am wating on the ABS
> version due out in a couple of months.

I wanted fully adjustable, high-quality suspension (my biggest beef with the Sprint). The ST didn't get it. Again. I like the new look, but it's not worth trading in my bike since I've already invested money in it to upgrade the suspension. IMO, they should have gone after the Ducati ST4s and put the front end from the new Speed Triple on it and a fully adjustable rear shock and sold it for $10K list.

So, IMO, the new ST isn't that much better than my modded 2002 RS to make me want to take a huge beating on resale on my RS and then pay full retail for new ST. I'd rather buy another (used) bike to add to the stable for the $5-6K money difference the new ST is over the value of my RS. Heck, I could probably find a new 2004 Daytona 600 for $6K if I tried. But I just bought a used dual-sport to play on (2001 DRZ400S), so we'll see what deals are available this coming winter and what the 2006 lineup has in store.

Garry