Re: [ST] Rink Shank

> In a message dated 4/14/2005 9:16:51 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
> Richard_Masiak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I'm looking  for galvanized (electro or hot dip) ring shank roofing nails.
> Length: min  1.75"  Max: 2.25"
> My internet searching so far has turned up brass or  stainless steel ($$$)
> but the length is 1.5" anyway.  Even if I wanted to  spend the money they're
> still too short.
>
> Anyone have any  ideas?
>
> Rich

On a slightly more "on-topic" thread - my recently purchased used 2000 ST
has obviously sat outside for a long period of time sometime during it's
lifetime. It clearly handled it well, (probably due to having little to no
chrome, or steel and LOTS of painted aluminum) but one part of the bike
that did *not* handle it well are the fasteners. Most of the fasteners on
the bike have severe rusting problems, including some major ones - engine
bolts among the most obvious (and ugly) examples.

Particularly since the engine bolts would be a *major* PITA to replace -
does anyone have any non-replacement solutions - can I just clean them
with WD-40? I assume they'll just rust again fairly quickly if I do
because whatever protective coating they had is now gone.

Could I clean them with something harsher than WD-40 (suggestions? some
marine rust removal acid stuff?), or a dremel with wire-wheel?

Down the replacement tunnel - has anyone done the "full SS fastener
replacement" route on their ST and know the specs for all bolts?  And any
tips on making it easier? I know people have done this on other bikes, but
I forsee it taking hours of parts catalog research and even more hours of
slow painful replacement. Or does anyone know of someone who sells a
"kit"? I see http://www.tastynuts.com sells an (anodized AL) engine kit,
but not a whole bike kit it seems.

Paul