[ST] Re: ST-triumphnet.com Digest, Vol 1, Issue 20

Well, I finally got to ride a 2005 ST (wish I'd also ridden the Speed
Triple, but oh well).  I think the ST looks very small when compared with
most other sport-touring bikes, such as the FJR, the R-RT, ST1300 etc. and
it clearly is heavily sport-oriented.  I may differ from all you folks out
there who lavish praise on its looks.  I think it looks nice enough but I
don't get goose bumps over it.  The riding experience is an entirely
different situation, however.

The seat is a great improvement over the old stock one, but I still prefer
my Corbin.  The exhaust note is wonderful (this bike had the Triumph "off
road" muffler) and the throttle response significantly crisper.  The
handling is quick with very responsive turn-in, yet it never felt unstable
at speed.  This bike had the suspension set up very softly, which I
thought I'd hate, but it soaked up bumps very nicely and didn't wallow.
Nose-dive with braking was slightly less (surprisingly) than with my
Race-Teched bike.  The engine is an absolute jewel - it feels like it has
quite a bit more than 10 horses over the older bike and the torque is felt
even earlier than on mine.  Truly a wonderful ride.  I think this bike is
easily the sporting equal of the Ducati ST4s yet far more comfortable.
With bags, however, its price is not much less than the Duc's which has
much more expensive thingies hanging off of it.

Paul S.