From: Barry Evans <barryevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:13:07 +1000
Subject: [ST] Fuel usage, servicing and sprockets

Just back from a very pleasant 4 days x c. 600 km pd tour around central and
mid NSW, Australia. Bike performed flawlessly :) except for the (first time
ever) appearance of some false neutrals going up between 4th and 5th on
clutch less gear changes? Abnormal?

New BT 014s seemed to handle the sometimes wet and often crappy road surface
well.

Got an average of 4.78 litres per 100 km (= 59 mp[imperial]g I think?) with
fully loaded soft panniers and tank bag plus mucho right wrist. Is this
about right?

The engine seems to be sounding/feeling a little harsher under revs. Its
done a whopping 20,000 km (nearly 4 years old) and is due for its next
service, so perhaps the valve clearances need checking?
It gets a good thrashing every c. 4 months on the track. So, reading from
recent other posts, perhaps I need to get new chain and sprocket? Front and
rear together? According to de-ciphered VIN I have 18/43 on my 2001, so
perhaps time to go to 18/45 for those track days? I wont miss the >220 kph
top end because even on the track I'm only pulling c. 200 kph tops.

And while I'm at it I might go full hog and get sports can and even
suspension upgrade. I was hoping at this stage to be looking at a trade in
for a 2005, but they have yet to appear DownUnder. I've also heard that
Triumph Australia are going to have no demos for the first 12 months. I
don't care how sexy the new bike is I'm not going to blow a lot of money on
a untested bike. If this is true I think Triumph Oz are taking the piss and
taking their loyal customers for granted. At least let existing ST owners
have test rides.

Thanks

Barry

01 BRG ST