Re: [ST] Oil usage

> This subject has probably been covered before, but I would love to know what experience others are having.
>
> I have noticed that my '99 ST is using what I am thinking is a fair bit of oil.
>
> I change the oil and filter every 5000kms but I need to add about 300 - 400mls between changes. Its not burning it and there are no leaks, so I'm at a loss as to where its going.

Brett,
There are only 3 possibilities. You are burning it, you have a leak,
your head gasket is toast and it is getting into your cooling system.
My ST (99 with 35K miles) burns a similar amount to yours. The Triumph
service limit is some ridiculous number (see link below). Some people
were burning severe amounts of oil and Triumph had to fix the engines
under warranty. There was also an issue with the engine breather that
made it worse but I am sketchy on the details.

When I did my survey some people had oil consumption issues
http://www.rgalea.com/bikes/st/reliability.html

If you search the list (which you should be able to do soon) you will
find more info. The bottom line is I would not worry about it. I have
seen new BMW's use more oil than that :-)
Rupert