Re: [ST] Lane Splitting II

Masiak, Richard wrote:

Whether it's legal or not, don't you think it's a bit over-the-top insane?

no. nor do the california highway patrol.

All you need is some jerk to move a little or pop the door and you impersonate superman.

true. and in all the years i commuted by bike, day in and day out, rain or shine, for
over 15 years on crowded california freeways, i had only *one* instance of someone
purposefully trying to block my path. this is not to say that there weren't countless
times when someone merged/drifted/changed lanes in a way that violated my right of way,
but that's just part of riding a bike - you're invisible - even with the extra lights and
loud gear and modulating headlight and riding safely for conditions - you're invisible.

i did have one other instance where a gal changed lanes into me, and that *did* result
in a (albeit *poor*) superman impersonation, and the eventual decision to give up motorcycling
for the time being...

and while there are the occasional crazies that andrew reports going 40-50 through
stopped traffic, they are few and far between. it is remarkable how many of the folks
stuck in their cages stay to the edge of their lane to provide bikes with the largest
possible area with which to 'share' lanes ;)

- al.