RE: [ST] Lane Splitting II

>France is scary though! They do
> the same like in the UK but twice as fast and wheelying
> while wearing just short sleeved shirts (police included!).

Thanks to speak about France, but try to not give bad ideas. Remember we
always pay only attention to crazy guys, motorcycling, cycling, running,
even walking (remember somewhere a guy walking counter way on a
highway).

Lane splitting is done everywhere in France, of course especially around
Paris and big towns.

I "lane split" every day to commute, passing hundred of cars. Most of
them make an effort to let the way free. Driving here is different that
in US, cars don't hesitate to change to right/left lane if they feel
there is a place better, or that lane is faster. To stay quietly in a
row is risked too since a guy in a cage may feel there is a free place,
not seeing the bike and change to go where you are. We are a latin
country and more you go south, more riding is sporty.

For wheeling, I see wheelings sometimes, but never seen between car
rows. When cars are moving I lane split 20/30 km/h above their speed,
speed I find the best choice for my skill. I even practiced lane
splitting this winter with ice and snow on road when cages were stuck
there by traffic congestion.

For police in shirt in summer, for what I see in films or when I travel,
it seems that's not a speciality of french police. I recognize I always
find that strange to drive a bike with boots, pants but shirts. Perhaps
something drawn from our past when police went on horses..
For other guys, I think motorcycling in shirt is practice by 15% of
riders in summer in towns, perhaps 25% when weather is really hot. Not
more. I never drive my bike with shirts/shorts except to drive the bike
outside or inside the garage...

Pascal
'00 silver Daytona 955
'01 blue Sprint ST