Re: [ST] electrical demons (sorry longish)

The service bulletin on the ignition switch only applies to very early
Sprints (perhaps only '99) and has existed since at least 2000 when I
bought my first Sprint ST.

While it is true that there is always a small current being drawn from
the battery whenever the Sprint sits (this applies to MOST late-model
bikes BTW), if you ride it reasonably often, this should not be a
problem.  Let it sit for a week or more and it should be on a trickle
charge however (preferably a smart charger such as Battery Tender or
Optimate or overcharging can occur too).

But if you don't trickle charge, ride 'fairly' often, and STILL have
battery problems, then it's much more likely that the batteries you have
been getting have not been charged properly to begin with.

The INITIAL charge is CRITICAL to getting expected battery life, and
far, far too many dealers will only give a new battery a quick charge at
relatively high current (this is very bad, but most people do not
realize what causes their battery to die early so they just go out and
do it all again)

Neil