[ST] Scorpion Slip On

I finally received my Scorpion slip on (http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/open.html) from: http://www.motodepot.com/ Funny but they don't list Triumph cans anymore.

The slip on they had listed said it would fit a 2002 ST so I called and ordered it back in late April (I double checked that it was supposed to fit an ST and they said YES). Well, when it showed up everything in the box said it was for a 1999 and greater RS. Hmmm! I thought what the hell, there can't be that much difference so I'll give it a whirl.

So I pulled off the stock can and proceeded to mount the new one. The "S" pipe fit perfectly and the can seemed like it would work. Well that's when the fun began. When I went to attach the "H" strap for holding the can in place to the rear peg mount and found that it would be at the very front of the can and not supply any lateral support allowing the can to hit the tire. Hmmm!

I called Moto Depot and asked them to double check everything. According to them I had the right can but suggested I call the distributor here in the US. I did and the person I talked to made it sound like there was an additional part that I needed. She told me that the dealer had to call and get the part for me because they aren't allowed to deal with the end customer. OK. So I call Moto Depot back and explain everything. They were more than willing to help me out and would check into it. We traded several phone calls and emails.

Being the pessimist that I am, I decided to build my own bracket in the mean time. After a few hours getting reacquainted with my jig saw and other tools of destruction, I had a beautiful aluminum bracket. A quick run to get some stainless steel nuts/bolts/washers and I was ready to mount it. A few swear words later and several adjustments later it was on and supported very well with minimal movement in any direction. SWEET! The whole ordeal took several days mostly because I had to waste time looking for a job and other misc stuff like paying attention to the wife and doing work around the house. I finished everything up one morning and got an email from Moto Depot that same afternoon telling me that there weren't any other parts available for the ST. They suggested I contact Scorpion directly but since I had already made my own....I didn't bother.

It doesn't sound much louder than stock but it does have a throatier sound, kind of a deeper growl. My friends think it sounds great and that I can't sneak up on them anymore since the bike no longer sounds like a sewing machine.

I'm hoping to run down to my friends' dyno on Friday and we'll work on a map for my PC III. Last time we did some power runs, it showed 98 - 99 RWHP. I'll post the new numbers after we play with it. They have gotten a few extra ponies from their S3s after adding new cans and putting in new maps (an M4 on one and a Giannelli on the other) so I expect a couple more from mine. We'll see.

George