[ST] Gas tank connections

I'm trying to find a slow gas leak on the Blue Devil and was wondering about the connections on the right side.

Just above the fuel pump plate there are two silver nipples that connect to rubber tubes which snake through the frame to the underside. One tube has a black piece that looks like it might be a check valve. If I hold the piece upright (as it was installed on the bike) I can blow or suck air through the piece. If I turn the part over I can suck air but cannot blow. This leads me to believe that it is indeed a check valve that might be have been installed upside down by some goober.

The second tube is just a straight run the the underside.

There is a third rubber tube that goes from a silver thing on the fuel pump plate to the air box. The questions:
1) Which tube is supposed to be connected to which nipple?
2) What are the nipples there for?
3) Is the black piece a check valve and which way should it sit?
4) What is the thing that the third tube is connected to and should that one be connected to the airbox?

Bonus question:
5) Who is going to make the first comment about nipples and sucking and blowing?

--
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been much of a day."
-- John A. Wheeler