Re: [ST] Gas tank connections

I know, I know, I shouldn't be replying to my own post but upon closer inspection of the nipples and more blowing I made a few discoveries.

In a previous email, Steve Lawler stated:
1) Which tube is supposed to be connected to which nipple?
2) What are the nipples there for?

Both nipples somehow connect to the inner rim of the tank opening. The rearward one ends there. It is probably there to allow over fill to flow out under the bike rather than over the engine. The forward nipple, when the cap is closed, goes into the tank.

3) Is the black piece a check valve and which way should it sit?

I strongly suspect that it is a check valve and should be connected to the forward nipple and placed to allow air into the tank but not to allow gas out.

4) What is the thing that the third tube is connected to and should that one be connected to the airbox?

Bonus question:
5) Who is going to make the first comment about nipples and sucking and blowing?

Matt Knowles wins the kewpie doll.

Am I correct in my assumptions or will someone refute my findings?

-- Steve Lawler Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"In case you're worried about what's going to become of the younger generation, it's going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation."
-- Roger Allen