Re: [ST] Mileage

I noted the same tenancy you described in the last 1,500 miles of wear of my last set of Pilot Roads.  This is the main reason I switched to Z6's.  I guess sometimes you can't win.  I have found both tires to provide plenty of grip for street riding.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: david.funk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Aug 5, 2005 11:37 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: dwfunk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Mileage

My experience is that you will get about the same mileage on Avon 45/46 as with Z6's or Pilot Roads. You have to watch the rear Z6 near the end of its life as it wears out very quickly at the end. I have heard this is because the center rubber is hard on top of a soft base that makes up the edges. Once the center hard part is gone, the soft center will disappear quickly.

Also, I like the Z6 and Pilot Road tires fine when new or half used. But at the end of life, I get unpleasant feedback from the fronts and to a lesser extent the rears. So while they last as long as other tires, I feel the "good" mileage is shorter.

I have no experience with the Diablo Strada's.

David W. Funk
'00 Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA