RE: [ST] Accidents

My heart goes out to Adams family, I really hate when one of us is taken for no reason. This was certainly an accident. I'm sure the Woman that hit Adam didn't intend to do it and I'm even more sure she is in tremedous pain and grief for causing his death. But the big problem I see here is that there are just to many people on the road that shouldn't be. And we can thank the AARP for this. I'm 46 and I can feel my skills and reaction times slowing from when I was 20.. We need mandatory re-testing of drivers when they reach a certain age, maybe say 70 ? If one looks at the data on accidents the curve is for younger drivers ( lack of experience and judgement) a leveling out, and then a sharp rise for older drivers ( lack of skills, vision, hearing, just being out there) But the AARP which has a HUGE lobbying force keeps this need for re testing off and out of the national political agenda.. No I wouldn't want to be told sorry you can't drive anymore, but I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for someones death cause I'm not capable of driving anymore either. Shame that human nature is to be so selfish.

Erik

Based on that definition, that 87 year old woman who caused Adam Bell's unfortunate demise did so by accident. Granted, she must have seen them. How could you miss headlights coming at you. If I had to guess, she saw them coming but misjudged the time she had to turn.

Still, I agree that we all should be held to some varying level of accountability/liability for our screw-ups. Although she did not intentionally mean to kill Adam, she made an error in judgment and should have some level of responsibility. IMO, common sense dictates that if you are unsure if you can execute a turn through on coming traffic WAIT! until it's clear.

Anyway, although I didn't know Adam personally, it is truly a heart break to hear of any motorcyclist's loss of life in an accident. My heart and prayers go out to the wife and family. It's never easy to deal with loss, especially a tragic one.