From: st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Shawn
Mouser
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 9:28 AM
To: st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Check engine - odd symptoms

I'm hoping someone else might have had these symptoms on their bike and
can impart some wisdom.

I have an '02 ST with about 20K miles. An odd set of symptoms occurs
when the bike gets hot. At exactly the moment the fan kicks in the fuel
gauge goes dead (drops to empty), the fuel light comes on, and the
"check engine" light illuminates. This has only happened in stop and go
traffic and doesn't seem to be an overheating issue... the bike never
overheats, the fan kicks on, the temp gauge stabalizes, there's no
change in how the bike runs, eventually I get moving again and when the
bike cools back down to it's normal operating temp, the fan kicks back
off and the fuel gauge goes back to normal. Of course the engine light
stays on until I go through three cycles (without the fan kicking on
and sending an error code) and then the brain resets itself.

I took the bike in once to my dealer since this started, but at the
time I hadn't noticed all the symptoms... I just had an unexplained
check engine light. The dealer basically reset it and said bring it
back if it happens again (babbling some B.S. about how the battery
might have gone weak/dead... which it hadn't). I'm hoping someone here
has had a similar issue and might give me a heads up so I can point my
ever so helpful dealership in the right direction.

Thanks,