[ST] RE: ST-triumphnet.com Digest, Vol 5, Issue 21

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:47:49 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: drbrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Clutch life survey
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can't really speak to the Sprintas mine only has 18,000 miles but my VFR
has 98,900 and my Goldwing has 89,100 miles and they both have original
clutches.  I have never known anyone to replace a clutch in less the 60,000
miles that did not abuse it.  By that I mean wheelies, drag racing etc.

Rick
00 sprint
95 VFR
89 GL1500

Mine 01 has 50K miles and I had the clutch checked at my last valve service.
They said it looked new. Look Rick, just because you bought a Triumph don't
expect it to be any less reliable than your Honda (aka lemming bikes) or any
other brand names including BMW. You see... they all have their little
nigglings. With VFR's, it's the regulators and the big shafties have their
own problems; oil leaks etc. And don't all the Honda's have weak (high
failure rates) with their stator's???

What brought this question to mind, anyway? Is there some indication that
your Sprint's cluch is about to go south? BTW, with an 00 Sprint that only
has 18K on it I'd be more concerned with the more typical "garage queen"
ailments like leaking fork seals, plugged up fuel injection or
rotting-"reads dangerous" tires and rusty chains.

Grumpy old Bob Nixon, 01 Sprint ST 50K
Chandler, Az