Re: [ST] Faded tank bag

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Kevin Dicks wrote:

I was recently given a tank bag for my new (to me) S3 (never fear I didn't
get rid of the ST - the S3 is in garage right now scaring the crap out the
ST, which, admittedly, has been sulking a little since I got the S3) and it
is heavily faded in parts.  It's a standard Triumph tank bag - from 1999 or
so, and its in really good condition apart from the fading.  I was wondering
if there is anything I can do to reverse that or make it look a little
better or should I just regard it as a patina to be cherished.

Kevin,
The triumph tank bag appears to be made out of some kind of nylon. Maybe Cordura or a knock-off. My aerostich (Cordura brand nylon) came with instructions which I can't find right now to redye it with standard fabric dye such as you can buy at the fabric store. So I think it should work - at worst the dye just won't stick.

You'll want to remove all the doo-dads that can be removed, and wash it thoroughly first to remove all the dirt and waterproofing that it may have. Then once you are through dying it you'll need to re-waterproof it with Nikwax or something.

I think that dyeing is a dying art (heh!), but you should be able to find it at a "handcraft" store or fabric store.