Re: [ST] Buell

On Aug 22, 2005, at 6:16 AM, Masiak, Richard wrote:
To my knowledge, the high performance engines on F1 use hydraulic valves because of the high RPM's. Same thing with the Aprillia MotoGP bike.

I don't know about the Aprilia, but F1 engines use pneumatic valves because springs can't handle the high RPMs the F1 engines run. Most motorcycle engines use manually adjustable valves because they're compact and lightweight and can reliably rev to about 16K RPM. Hydraulic valves are more complex and result in an engine that's taller--something to be avoided in motorcycles--and they are difficult to make reliably handle revs much above 10K RPM.

One one of my other mailing lists there's been a discussion about the Buell and someone made the claim that the belt drive had been extensively tested for its ability to handle rocks, dirt, etc. Buell felt confident enough to offer a lifetime warranty on the belt drive, even for off-pavement use, but they don't expect most folks to do much more than the occasional dirt road.
--
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxx>
San Jose, CA (USA)