[ST] RE: ST-triumphnet.com Digest, Vol 5, Issue 34

-----Original Message-----
From: st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Blake Sobiloff
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 9:36 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Buell

<<SNIP>>

I don't know about the Aprilia, but F1 engines use pneumatic valves
because springs can't handle the high RPMs the F1 engines run.
<SNIP>

------------------------------
1st of all, mixing up a thread with that antiquated pushrod Buell to answer
about pneumatic valves is as misleading as things get. Next, Only the "CUBE"
triple used pneumatic valve actuation on the Folmula GP curcuit. This engine
was basically a chopped down to triple V10 Car F1 engine and had it's
problems. Finally, no current production auto or motorcycle designs uses
pneumatic valve actuation. The most exotic current production valve train is
Ducati Desmodromics; started back in the 1930's Dusenburg supercharged
engine. The current thinking is that metalurgy has advanced to the point
where Desmodromics is an unessesary & mainenance intensive luxury (cam lob
to both open & close the valve). About the closest thing nowadays is some of
the euro auto manufacturers using hydraulics to perform the old Cadillac
4-6-8 trick but having better success.

PS. If my writing sounds too condescending for this list, lemme know and
I'll drop it. I'm already heavily involved with several others and I guess I
thought there would be MORE Triumph loyalty on the Sprint list. Good God,
VFR, FJR-1300 & K1200 garage queen owners abound on the SPRINT list as does
trivia and OT questions. Local kibitzing (minor ride reports and local
traffic accidents) on an international list is also a major no-no;) Who's
running the show???

Bob Nixon 01 Sprint ST 50 K miles
Chandler, AZ