RE: [ST] Got to ride an 05 today

>From: Erik Miner
>this thing was just cooking my lower legs , could just feel heat billowing
>out, and it seemed to get worse at higher speeds.. Anyway too bad as
>the ABS version is just now out, and I really was interested.. for those of
>you with pre 05's keep em'  Oh the bags and mounts are totally ugly...  So
>I was hoping that I'd found a replacement for my 04 Honda ST1300abs.  It
>also gets hot ( although not nearly as bad as the ST)  but not until
>Triumph solves the heat issue, if it even can be solved.

I wonder if there is any sport touring bike nowadays that doesn't have
uncomfortable heat. The FJR1300A as well as any other liquid cooled,
faired bike I've heard of has heat issues in summer weather. I haven't
heard about it though with allroads like the V-Strom, GS and Varadero.
I had a GS myself, it was not collecting any heat in summer since it
had no fairing. But even the slim V-twins in the other faired allroads
seem to loose their heat away from the rider.

Considering the heat effect of the fairing I was wondering how a
K1200R (the naked version of the K1200S) would hold up. Brutal
power, relaxed seating position, reasonable tank size, shaft drive,
cases, ABS. And you can put on handguards on them as well...
But it's waaay overprized and I still wonder about the typical
BMW reliability / character issues.
http://www.bmwk1200s.com/Images/K1200R_HP-.jpg

Anyway, I'm way to happy with my BRG 2001 ST (the Sprint ST I mean).
Cooler than my ST1100 too, which didn't have a hairdryer blowing
down my legs (no problem in my leathers) but had more like a sauna
effect because of abundance in fairing and screen. But it's always
nice to look ahead. Somehow the looks of the '05 don't appeal to me
that much. We'll see what other potential future bikes might come along :-).

Emile
www.piloot.com