Re: [ST] for Emile - uncomfortable heat

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Bardell"

> If Triumph still made the RS, it would be my next bike.   Esp. in
> Lucifer Orange.
>
> Dave Bardell
> 01ST

> > uncomfortable heat. <<<
> >
> >    There's one marvellous sport-touring bike which is perfect in
every
> > way, including freedom from uncomfortable heat - it's the RS Sprint,
> > temporarily out of production.

My '03 Sprint RS, in Caspian Blue w/SSSA, seems to collect more than its
share of favourable remarks wherever I go.

And I have been very pleased with the way it has performed for me, most
recently during a 2-day, 10 hr/day jaunt from Vancouver to Eastern BC
and back.  I averaged 55 Imperial MPG, which is equivalent to almost 46
US MPG, and the bike ran like a top (zero issues).  I even managed to
have a little fun along the way :)

Now having said that, heat has ALWAYS been an issue with my bike, which
is to say that it seems to run much hotter than my '99 ST ever did.  But
this is somewhat understandable, I think, when you just consider the
improved performance of the second-generation 955 powerplant.

The fan seems to run a lot, although, thus far, the cooling system seems
to have been able to cope quite well, even when the ambient temperature
has approached 40 degrees Celsius (104 F).  The fan kicks on and off
reliably at the designated temperatures (on at 103 C and off at 101).
Ambient temperature seems to have very little to do with the issue,
however.  Motion (or lack thereof) is by far the most important factor.
In fact I'd say that regardless of ambient temperature, I expect my
cooling fan to kick in unless my speed averages at least 60 km/h (36
mi/h) for a few minutes.  Maybe at slower speeds the full-fairing of the
ST is more efficient than the half-fairing of the RS at channelling the
air to the radiator, and on to the rider, for that matter.  Anyway, my
cooling system gets a good workout when most of the riding is around
town.

So I'd be lying if I said I've never felt the added warmth of the air
being pulled thru the radiator and pushed around the motor, often while
waiting for traffic lights to change, but it has never even come close
to reaching the point of being uncomfortable, even when stalled in
bumper-to-bumper traffic for extended periods.

Neil