[ST] 05 ST Panniers - oh dear...

Hey All,

I picked up my '05 ST today after its first service. ($270.00 Australian)

I'm still restricted to 6000rpm but I was able to have a short blast on the way home. The engine is oh so sweet, the front brakes are a big improvement as is the suspension. I am loving riding this bike!

I'm really keen for that ride Harry, I'll let you know as soon as I know when I'm going.

The bike was also fitted with the Triumph panniers and top box.

Oh dear...

The team at Hinckley have REALLY dropped the ball on this one.

The good bits: The boxes are bigger & come with inner bags (including the top box).The ignition key for all boxes is very handy. The panniers can go on either side.
This is pretty much where the good bits end.

1. The idea of integrating the lock with the release button, the carry handle and the mechanism to hold it onto the bike sounds like a good idea and it looks neat, however, it doesnt work! I mean it functions but its really difficult to use and when closing the box and locking the handle down it doesnt always lock, requiring some persuasion and checking to ensure all is secure. Its a fiddly operation.

2. There is one lock on each box so it is located in the centre. The plastic used in the construction is of a soft type, resulting in the corners of the lids being so flexible that with little effort I can separate the corner of the lid from the box and stick my whole hand in there! With this in mind I doubt that they would be waterproof. If they were packed tightly they would bulge open and I'm also thinking that they may even warp in the hot sun.

3. The hinges are located on the outside of the boxes (a security issue) but on the top box it makes life uncomfortable for the pillion. The first thing Sharyn noticed when she saw it.

I had to go straight to work after collecting the bike but I will be contacting the Australian importer next week and hopefully getting something major done about this complete c**k up. They look and feel cheap. Really they should be scrapped and redesigned.

An interesting feature is that they are designed to move sideways. The top box moves about 10mm each side from center, sliding on the mounting plate and the panniers have a sliding bar between them, with a ruber ball on each end, under the indicators. They swing about 20mm each way.

Anyway, I just find it so hard to believe that such a sub standard product can be put onto the market by a company such as Triumph. Really what are they thinking???

sigh...

Brett
Sydney.