Re: [ST] DIY Fork Maintenance

I've done several Hawks and my ST and I'd recommend pulling the forks. It makes it easier to get all the old oil out. You may want to consider a new set of springs while you're at it. I put in a set of Wilber progressive springs and RT emulators about 5,000 miles ago. One of the best investments I've made. It probably helps that I did a Wilbers shock at the same time but what an improvement on both ends!!! I got them from here if you're interested:

www.motofanatic.net

I also have a Fork Oil Level Gauge from Motion Pro makes getting the correct oil level a snap!

http://www.motionpro.com/Docs/suspensiontools.html

I use a "long" allen socket to remove the bottom bolt from the fork. Check McMaster Carr part # 5571A45 (10 1/2" drive) or part # 8367A81
(6 3/8" drive).

http://www.mcmaster.com/

For a fork seal driver. I use PVC, a punch, and a hammer. An 1 1/4 PVC "connector with the interior ridge removed works wonderfully too.

I use this lift when doing fork/wheel work:

http://www.bike-lift.com/eazyrizer.htm

For everything else I use this:

http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=46&D=1&S=21

HTH!  YMMV.

George

At 11:03 AM 8/26/2005 , sprint_st@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The job was not too hard. You need a long allen (fairly large) to get the
> screw at the bottom of each leg. Plus you need a rod (wooden) to hold the
> damping rod when putting it back together.
I'll probably use an allen socket.  I've thought that replacing the fork
oil might be easier by just pulling the front wheel and taking out those
screws out.  I know it's not that much easier but you wouldn't have to
take the forks, fender and calipers off.  What do you think?
Rod

----------------------------------------- Join ISP.COM today - $8.95 internet , less than 1/2 the cost of AOL Try us out, http://www.isp.com/