RE: [ST] DIY Fork Maintenance

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Jeremy Witt wrote:

> I've been inside Hawk forks twice now, which are nearly identical (same
> diameter, same damper rod setup) Showa and from what I've seen, heard
> and read, bushings rarely need service in the first 75-100k miles.

As best I can tell the Hawk GT & Superhawk both have 41mm forks and the
Sprint ST has 43mm.

This resurrected for me the "what about a fork swap" thread. In googling
for the information above, it turns out the the VTEC VFR and the F4/F4i
both have 43mm cartridge forks. The VFR is only adjustable for preload,
but the F4/F4i are fully adjustable. Neat! Unfortunately even at a glance,
the caliper brackets are significantly different so it would have to be a
wheel + full fork swap OR with a great deal of luck an internals-only
swap.

The wheel + fork swap would be close to or as expensive as the RT
treatment, although arguably better since you'd get more adjustability and
*real* cartridges (I really can't imagine that "emulators" are as good as
the real thing).

The internals swap is much more appealing but so far I haven't been able
to find the lengths of the fork or any fork components on the web for
either the F4 or ST. Even if they were the right length, would they be
threaded the same, etc? They're both Showa so I would guess it is a pretty
good bet. Maybe I'll start carrying a measuring tape when I go on group
rides and if someone has an F4, measure the on-the-bike length of their
forks for a first order approximation. Does anyone have a better
suggestion?