Re: [ST] Bikes for the vertically challenged

But for a new rider (and especially women), they want to get both feet on the ground due to the lack of experience and thus confidence.  As they get more confident, they probably won't mind tip-toeing or the sort.  But the lack of control with tip-toeing can be unsettling when you are still trying to get comfortable with the whole riding thing to start with.  It's like leaning a bike in a turn - sure the bike is capable, but that doesn't mean you are confident to lean it such until you gradually do it more and get more comfortable - otherwise all of us would be complaining about dragging the foot pegs into the ground on our ST's.....

  Matt Heyer

Joel Ashman <ashmite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  An SV is too tall? I'm 5'5" with a 27-28" inseam (aka Short!), and while
was never able to get both feet down on my SV, I could solidly get 1 foot
down. Raise the forks 1" and get the seat trimmed or re-done by Sargent. I
get tiptoes of 1 foot on the ST at best. The Triumph dealer's Sales Manager
didn't want to let me take a test ride on the ST because of my size. He
didn't seem to realize that the Sales Guy was exactly the same height, and
he rode one...

So, how about a Honda Shadow 750? Harley-esque I know, but low seat, easy
to ride, and a good bike to learn on until the comfort level comes up, then
move to a taller bike when confortable with 1 foot down.

Speaking of tall bikes, on my old DR350, at particularly long stop lights,
I've had to jump off and stand beside the bike. I felt like a dweeb, but
better than falling over on a DC-Virginia highway. I had to put the
kickstand down to kickstart the bike also.

Me, I've just resigned myself to never getting both feet on the ground on
any bike except for a crusier or the Goldwing, which strangely enough I
could just about flat foot one while it was on the centerstand. Not that
I'm suggesting one for her first bike.

--Joel