[ST] Cooling fan kinda loud?

I got my '01 Sprint ST about a month ago, but due to weather in NE Ohio, haven't been out but a couple times on it. I noticed that the cooling fan runs all the time and sometimes sounds a bit obtrusive at low speeds. I assume this is normal, never had a water cooled bike before, my last ride was an '82 Suzuki.
  Is the fan meant to cycle on and off or does it go all the time?
  Thanks,
  Kevin