Re: [ST] More concept

On 16 Dec 2005, at 00:05, Emile Nossin wrote:

> Scoot or bike? A Victory concept with a CVT:
> http://www.motorcycledaily.com/12december05_victoryvision.htm

I suspect that (or rather hope that) the Victory concept is how it is
because regulations require it to be so - as it looks plain ungainly
and ugly to me.  I thought the new RT BMW was grim, but it looks
almost stylish by comparison to the Victory concept.

I can remember in the late eighties when EU noise and pollution
controls were first beginning to come in.  Manufacturers found that
their existing models could not be adapted to suit - famously the
then boss of Kawasaki in the UK reported that the Z1100 exceeded
planned noise levels even when being towed with the engine turned
off.  Meeting the noise regulations, it seemed, required either water
cooling (to muffle mechanical noise) and / or enclosing the engine
bay with noise baffles (aka full fairing).  For performance bikes,
meeting pollution regulations required water cooling and (for large
engines) fuel injection.  The result was a large amount of innovation
- resulting in some ground-breaking outcomes (the GPZ 900 for
example) and some less significant ones (e.g. belt drive).  The
proportion of bikes sold with fairings went up significantly too.  We
are still seeing the tail end of this wave of regulation driven
innovation today - with manufacturers increasingly putting catalytic
converters on bikes (and marketing departments obscuring their
associated bulk and weight near the engine as 'mass centralisation').

But if the regulations mean that in future all bikes will look like
the Victory concept, then I'm going to make sure I redouble my
efforts to maintain my ST...

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST 03