Re: [ST] Transit strike

In a previous email, Rich Rumble stated:
> Hey, Lawler, how has the transit strike affected your ride to work?

Funny you should mention that. We are off for this and next week so it
hasn't affected me directly. My wife, on the other hand, works in
Brooklyn and has to leave the house before 4:30am so that she can get
through the Holland Tunnel by the 5:00am cut-off. Otherwise she would be
forced to go through Staten Island. She doesn't have to be in until 7
but since most of her work is paperwork she is able to go in early and
leave around 1:30pm.

Had I been working this week the strike would not have affected me.
Motorcycles are exempt from the four person per vehicle restriction. If
I was unable to ride the bike I would take the train or have the wife
drive me in and take the train home.

ST related: Because we are down to one car I was forced to take a
package to the UPS store on the Blue Devil. It looked rather comical
having this 24"x20"x6" cardboard box strapped to the top rail. I wish I
had taken a picture.

So there I am, standing in the UPS store, with the aforementioned
package under one arm and a bag full of large envelopes and my helmet in
the other hand when this guy comes walking in, gets behind me in line,
and says hello. Regretfully, I say hello back to him.

"You rode your bike here?" he asks.

"No you fecking retard. I'm out of work this week, bored and pining for
the those fair riding days of spring so I decided to put on my full
leathers and carry my helmet around on my errands which wouldn't be a
problem except for the fact that I got this friggin' package under one
arm and a bag full of large envelopes in the other hand." was what I
wanted to say but instead I said "Yep."

"How's the wind chill?"

"Not bad. I only came over from Verona and I got an electric jacket liner."

"Oh. How does that work? On batteries?"

"I have an outlet on the bike. I just plug it in."

"Oh. You're on a motorcycle."

"No. I AM on line in the UPS Store talking to a moron. I WAS on a
motorcycle until I saw this building. It looked rather odd so I decided
to go in and see what types of odd microcephalics would get in line
behind me." was what I really, really, really wanted to say but merely
grunted out another "Yep" and turned away from from him just in time to
here the clerk call "Next."

--
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"If I could work my will, every idiot who goes about with 'Merry
Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and
buried with a stake of holly through his heart."
             --Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"