Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 9, Issue 41

Brett,
In the past I didn't totally remove the pistons but just blasted it with
brake cleaner with the piston pushed out a bit.  That seemed to do ok but
maybe just ok. I'm planning to do a more complete clean very soon.  "more
complete" being taking the calipers off, putting them on a bench and taking
the pistons out.  I do know that some guys replace the seals but I'm not
sure that is "necessary" yet but there is probably a good argument to
"you've got it apart, why not do it?"
I've heard of guys putting a light coat of grease on the pistons but I'm not
sure what type of grease and I'm sure you know about the reluctance to put
grease anywhere near the pads.  I think there is a grease known as copper
clad in Europe that is used for this purpose and maybe it is just the
caliper grease you put on the pins the pads slide on, but I'm not sure.
Rod