Re: [ST] Paging Gavin

On 1 Feb 2005, at 18:21, Rupert Galea wrote:

> Gavin I assume that is you in the March issue of Ride?
> Tell them they got the Torque spec wrong!
> Rupert

Indeed so!  Fame and fortune are now only days away I'm sure...

Thanks to Mike Bostock for posting the link about Ride looking for
spec'd out versions of soon to be replaced models.  Was great fun being
at Ride offices to have bike photographed, but was  grim wet / grey day
(hence wet weather riding kit) so not much fun getting to / from (about
a 300 mile round trip).  The guy with the GSX (on next page in mag) was
there at same time - amazing bike with lots of expensive but totally
irrational stuff on - for example he's stuck bits of carbon fibre onto
the exposed bits of his bike's frame: looks shiny, but not sure what
useful purpose it serves.  As far as I could tell from conversation
with him, he's not actually ridden the bike much - and he got it to the
photo shoot in a van.  I think journalist he was rather hoping my ST
would be similarly over the top - my (fairly useless) 'Triumph' carbon
fibre stickers around key hole got him interested, but really was no
contest.

The spec. errors are funny.  Last year in a comparison of VFR and ST
Ride claimed that the ST had 4000 mile service intervals with a monster
service (cam shafts removed) at 16K, and suggested that the (at the
time free) heated grips and panniers cost £1000 to fit.  ST narrowly
lost to VFR, suspect that having the right facts would not have made a
difference, but makes you wonder!

They also managed to get the list of extras on my bike wrong too - and
this after I handed over a printed list of what was added to the bike.
Soon after I purchased the bike I printed out the ST Accessories page
from On Yer Triumph and marked off what the previous owner had added -
and added up cost plus other bits not on the print out (Autocom,
Headlight Relay etc.).  Based on On Yer Triumph prices plus receipts
for other bits, total cost (not including fitting -which was done by A1
Moto in Yorkshire when bike purchased, and presumably extra) was about
£1800... and that doesn't include the Triumph Race can they say is
fitted to the bike (which I sadly don't (yet) have... ).

Anyhow - the story (and fame with it) is good to see.  Fortune is just
a few days away now - the Bike winter competition (for MV Augusta and
loads of kit) is due for drawing on Feb 4th.  Since I'm now famous
guess I'm bound to win ... so I'll start clearing a space in the Garage
tomorrow ;)

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03