Re: [ST] Rebuilding my hulk

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Benjamin Berck wrote:

> I'm also going to have to repair some of the holes and cracks in the
> fairings, or take it to an expert.  Has anybody tried repairing their
> own fairings?  I found a website that goes into the details: sand/liquid
> fiberglass/sand/bondo/sand/clean/paint.
> http://sportrider.com/tech/146_9510_hand/

I've done everything but the "paint" stage and it was pretty straight
forward, and the job is done pretty well as best I can tell. So my bike
(the older bike - 1990 VFR) currently looks like a mutant monster, but it
is aerodynamically sound! I'll get around to painting it one of these days.

I would not expect a paint job done in your garage to look like a
professional one.

As long as you have multiple pieces to do and presumably
large areas to do, you might consider having it done professionally. You
can take it to a professional that will just do the parts in the perfect
color of your choice, but that will cost you > $1000.

Alternately you could make friends with someone that works in a body shop,
and probably for a case of beer you can have them use their clean room and
equipment and leftover paint from a car in approximately the color of your
choice to spray it - and they'll probably still get better results because
it is done in a clean dust-free environment with professional equipment
etc.  I've heard of several folks having good luck with this approach.