Re: [ST] New Server

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Rupert Galea wrote:

> We suffered a setback when we discovered that the hosting company we
> planned to use did not offer everything we needed. We are now back on
> track.
>
> Eric and several others are working on a TriumphNet history.
>
> Steve has been working on a new logo that incorporates the logo change
> at Triumph.
>
> Simon is working on setting up the list. Our current plan for the list
> is to have a publicly available archive that has email addresses
> stripped out. If we cannot pull this off then the archive will be
> private (must be a member of the list) and still have the email
> addresses in it. Either way it will be searchable.

Wohoo! Sounds awesome. :-)

> Others are working on cleaning up the site content.

Very cool -looking forward to seeing this.

> We all have day jobs so please be patient.

We're patient, just excited. FWIW - I posted this request on another
thread and it may not have made it throught the works...

I would *love* to see a Wiki on the site. This would allow us to update
content, upload files etc with great ease, and would generally allow the
site to have a lot fresher content than a couple of people with day jobs
could feasably produce.

The "static" content part could still be there eg: everything that is
currently on the triumphnet website. You could simply add 1 more link on
the left-hand side "Sprint Wiki" - which would lead to the wiki. You don't
even need to put any startup content in the wiki itself as list members
could do that (although I would suggest a set of links on the wiki front
page to provide some structure).

Of all the wiki's I've used, MoinMoin (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/)
seems to be the one that best combines ease of use with features. It is
written in Python so runs best if the web server is running apache with
mod_python installed. If the hosting provider doesn't provide this then
there are a whole host of other Wiki's available including ones in perl,
php, etc. Two other very major ones are Twiki (http://www.twiki.org/) and
Mediawiki which runs the Wikipedia (http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/).

Just one more thing to consider...

Paul