Re: [ST] Re: Sprint 2002 Rear Bearing Failure - the story continues

The recall was for VIN# 132693 THROUGH 161257 and is for the right hand
rear wheel bearing only (the one closest to the wheel).  This applies to
all single sided swing arm Triumph within the VIN# series.  The part
number for the new bearing is T3800220 according to the original
service/recall bulletin.

I don't think there was any change in the design of the rear hub.  Most
likely what happened was a change in manufacture of the bearing from
their supplier or in the supplier for the bearing itself.  Quality
control at the bearing factory may have taken a dump and a bunch of bad
bearings went out the door.

the second bearing failure may not have been manufacturer related, but
installer related.  Did they install the bearing correctly, did they use
the correct and  enough grease in the bearing, did they grease the
bearing at all?  The seals on the bearing are reused and if damaged
during removal but still used in reassembly could allow dirt into the
bearing.  Damage to the hub can result from not being careful during
bearing removal and replacement also.

I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but If the replacement
was done correctly, it should be safe.

Dan Wallander