From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
phsammut@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:32 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] Re: TriumphSTDigest Re: Sprint 2002 Rear Bearing Failure -
the story continues

I now ask that thru your collective wisdom / experience if there is some
good explanation so I can continue riding the Sprint with confidence.

Cheers / Harry.

Hi Harry,

I don't blame you at all for your nervousness about the bike and I'm
very sorry to hear your girlfriend was injured - hope she's alright now.
As you rightly point out, this is not a fault that other STs have
encountered, so do not think it is in the design of the bike but it
certainly makes you think this is more than a fluke.  The possibilities
that come to mind:

      1)  The replacement bearings you received were exactly the same
kind as your first set.
      2)  There is someting wrong with either your wheel (at the bearing
insertion surface) or spindle which possibly allows the whole bearing to
             spin/build up excessive heat
      3)  Do you (or anyone else) use a powered cleaner that can force
water to get inside the bearings?
      4)  The wheel is somehow misaligned, causing abnormal torque on
the bearing/spindle

If none of these is the case, I'd seriously talk to Triumph about giving
you (or at least very substantial savings on) a new bike.

Best of luck,

Paul S.
'01 Sprint ST with no problems

*   *