Re: [ST] for Dan - watching the GP

At 09:05 AM 2/17/2005, you wrote:
>The MotoGP is not at Barbara because the rich, spoiled "gp people" don't
>want to spend their nights in Alabama. Monterary has much more appeal.

The story here in AL is that the city of Birmingham would not provide the
$100K (or 250 or whatever it was) required by Dorna? Barber owns an old
Sears bldg. downtown that has been closed for many years. City wanted him
to sell it or improve it or something and he said he would IF they agreed
to fund the race, which presumably would have brought in ten-fold that in
revenue for the city. But city said they would only fund race if he agreed
to do building and WITHOUT stipulations (ie them funding the race). Local
political struggle between milk tycoon and mayor. Our understanding which
may not be accurate at all - we will never know for sure and neither will
you unless your work for Dorna - is that Barber had it in the bag if they
would have just come up with the $.

But your comments about lack of high speed areas on track are spot on. I
have done a coupla track days there and I think it's perfect.... but I
remember Mladdin saying last year after AMA SBK he never got out of 3rd
gear! Obviously a ''Desmosedici GP5' or a RC211-V will suck the paint off a
puny gixxer1000 so they really might not be very well suited for here. Road
America mabey? Elkhart? I'd make the trip.

Oh and I will be in Monterey. Staying in Carmel. Planning to ride the ST
there, we'll see.

John Petrey