RE: [ST] In Search of the Illusive MC Content

> > As far as hitting pegs.  The ST and RS really aren't designed for
> > maximum lean angle.  The foot pegs are designed for comfort.
> > I don't think they are as high as a race prep bike's would be.

This is true

> <snip> You also get a better understanding
> of the limits of your bike. So when, for whatever reason, you find
> yourself entering a turn too fast on the street you will have the
> confidence to ride it out rather than stand it up and go into the
> oncoming lane. Rupert

No denying the importance of learning your (and your bike's) limits.  A
half-fast rider at best, I still scrape a peg once in a while and there are
scrape marks on my belly pan too.  Both are more likely due to setup and at
36k miles, an aging shock, than to blinding speed through the turns.  But I
do practice.

Last weekend, four of us rode a 250 mile loop consisting of mainly crooked
back roads, some of them supremely twisty, over to the coast.
Unfortunately, on one of our favorite coastal roads, Hwy 53
http://tinyurl.com/6mu72 we couldn't have been more than an hour behind the
gravel* truck.  On the lower section, which has more traffic, you could ride
in a tire track and if you paid attention, still have a good time.  But
then, rounding a left-hand bend at a fair clip, the gravel was
shoulder-to-shoulder - there was nowhere to go - a decidedly
high-pucker-factor situation.  Somehow, I managed to nurse us around the
turn, slipping and sliding the whole way and in the process I even hung off
the seat a bit, which I don't usually do.  Under the same circumstances a
year ago I probably would have thrown it away.

- --Rick in (warm, dry) Oregon
  '01 Sprint ST
  rode 275 miles Wednesday

*  Why they were spreading gravel on a 60 degree day is a question which may
never be answered :o|.

End of st-digest V2004 #828