RE: [ST] Helmets, footpegs, etc

godamn nice to hear from ya bare !!!!!  and hell, i agree with most all your
points.  I like my Arai for it's comfort and quietness, but that chin guard
is damn close :)   My former Shoei was nice and comfortable, but a bit
noiser.  venting is better on the Arai, sheild changing better on the Shoei.

As for peg draggin it's all a matter of personal style, I suppose.  I rarely
drag a peg and have those that do wondering why they are still behind me.

eL Donut
jinete en la tormenta

STeve Duncan
'00-Sprint-ST

>From: Bare <barenekd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [ST] Helmets, footpegs, etc
>Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:39:48 -0800
>
>I have owned AGV, Arais, Shoeis, Nolans, Bieffes, and a variety of other
>helmets. My latest is an HJC SyMax. The only one that I can say definitely
>saved my life wa the AGV. I went straight over the bars with a classic
>Flying-W off my ThunderAce at about 60 and landed square on the top of my
>head. I lost about an inch in height that day from spinal compression. The
>helmet and leathers worked well! I broke a bone in my hand--never wear
>gloves without carbon fiber knuckle guards on the back! And dislocated my
>collar bone when my head twisted and shoved the helmet down on it. I got
>onthe pillion of my riding partner's Ninja and he took me home, 60 miles
>away.
>My last Arai was ripped off,  and I still have a Shoei, which I really like
>better than the Arai. My favorite thing about the Arai was the little
>retractable chin piece that keeps the cold air off your chin. I like the
>quietness, comfort, and lightness of the Shoei. The HJC is noisier and
>colder, mostly because of the flip-up front, but then I got if for less
>than half price of the other two. There is an article by Dr. Hurt, who did
>the original Hurt Report about motorcycle accidents back in about '70, in
>the latest MCN, that says DOT requirements for testing is all the head can
>stand and the the Snell certs are definite overkill. Works for me
>As for dragging footpegs, in my canyon strafing days, I drug footpegs on
>the majority (all?) of my sportbikes, Ducati, Fireblades, the
>aforementioned ThunderAce, T3 SpeedTriple and the RS. The peg feelers
>eventually fell of the RS with the end of the pegs! The Speed Triple lost
>one, too. Bottom line is that Sprint RSs will drag their pegs without any
>problem, and in fact, use a bit more clearance!
>Bare

>  *

End of st-digest V2004 #829