[ST] Milky oil anyone?

Hellewww

My Y2K RS (30k) has started to use a small amount of water (maybe 1/2" per 1000miles) and at last service definitely had some milky residue around the oil filler cap and oil level sighting window.

So I'm thinking head gasket.  Immediate questions are:

: Will the head come off without dropping the lump out of the frame?
: Are they prone to doing head-gaskets?
: Is it anal/prudent/necessary to get the head checked for flatness when I do the gasket?
: Please please please tell me something along the lines of "oh, they all do that, just whip off the clutch cover and smear some araldite around the dodgy core-plug and it'll all be lovely again..."

Ta muchly

(Typed with foochin cold hands having just ridden to work in the snow.)

Adrian Mansell
Work:  +44 117 910 5600
Fax :  +44 117 910 5601
Cell:  +44 779 965 5987