FW: [ST] Hi Emile

Let's try it without the msg tag...
Take 5 to send this email to the list:

- -----Original Message-----
From: Emile Nossin [mailto:Emile@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 16:12
To: 'ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ST] Hi Emile

Wow, it sure is a small world. I didn't know you were a
"moderator" here as well? I participated in the PC ride
twice actually. I'd love to do it again, but it's hard
to find someone who wants to loan 2 motorcycles to 2
Dutch maniacs :-). Renting in the US is just way too
expensive (although I might be able to afford it later),
so last year september I rented bikes in South Africa
instead. Combined with the already cheap and luxureous
accomodation and the cheap food and fuel that was much
a good decision, and it's such a great motorcycle place :-).

My first two bikes were actually chain (the XJ600S Diversion
is known in the US as the Seca II), but I really didn't
like the mess and maintenance involved. But the pro-oiler
got me back on path to chain driven bikes again, it just
sounds like a great piece of technology.

For the last few weeks I was looking at a V-Strom Dl650
as a possible replacement for my Tmax, but than a friend
of mine pointed me to a 0 km new Sprint ST from 2002 in
british racing green. Actually the shop has 2 identical
ones he imported from Italy, my friend might want the
other one. Might, because we both still want to testride
it. I'm tall already at 1.90m / 6'3", but my friend  has
even longer legs. I wonder how comfy he can be with that
Sprint fairing. Asking price is 8800 euros which sounds
like a bargain to me (new is around 13000 euros), still
with the normal 2 years warranty. That price was enough
motivation to shift my focus on this bike. I never
read anything about Triumphs (because of the chain), but
I'm impressed by the design. It really seems to be
designed with ease of maintenance in the back of the
head and with riding in salty, wintery conditions,
judging by the plastic tank, the painted steel parts
and the 12V plug which is perfect for my heated Gerbing
vest. I still have got questions, I'll post those
seperately.

Of course the PC800 is hard to beat with the hydraulic
valve adjusters and shaft drive, but still the Triumph
seems very easy to maintain. The fairing looks easy to
remove, the intervals are at a roomy 10.000 km's and
according to this Motorrad test it's also among the
more cheaper bikes to run over a 50.000 km stretch:
http://piloot.smugmug.com/photos/13656952-L.jpg
The numbers in the table are the minutes required for
labor for each prescribed inspection, the total at
the end also converted into hours between brackets.
The differences are huge. Convert those hours into
euros (at around 50 euros per hour or so?) and you
can see a high mileage rider will save money with
some big bikes, even when the insurance costs more.
The cheapest one is the biggest one, the Triumph
Rocket III 2.3 liter, with cheap 16000 km intervals.

I would prefer ABS on a bike and I noticed the 2005
Sprint ST will get ABS in the spring. But right now
I cannot afford that, except when I would buy another
10 year old ST1100ABSTCS with 100.000 km on it (those
things really keep their value).

The PC800 indeed was a great bike and I loved riding
it 2 years ago the second time I was in California
(Leland borrowed me one of his PC's). But I'm still
in search for the perfect bike, maybe the Sprint ST
will come closer. It sure looks chique in green :-).

Nice to meet you again, Tom :-). Groeten,

Emile
www.piloot.com