[ST] Zook / Cat Crap (was:IMS show pics and info)

In a previous email, David Pullen stated:
> I also came across a booth for the Zook anti-fog stuff.  The guy yanked the
> glasses off my face and smeared this blue-ish crud on one lens, then stuck
> them in front of a steam generator.  First I was pissed, then I was
> impressed; he did the other lens and handed them back to me, and I was very
> impressed at how clear they were.  He did the usual "buy now and I'll throw
> in this extra bottle free" sales pitch; I made him double up on everything,
> and I bought some.  I've been having problems with fogging, so maybe it will
> help.

The Zook stuff sounds just like the Cat Crap stuff. I bought some a few
weeks ago.  The real test was on my ride home on a cool rainy night. It
was about 55 deg.F high humidity and a misty rain. I put some on my
clear visor as per the directions. Before I rode off I intentionally
tried to fog the visor. WOW! I was impressed!

Normally, my visor will fog up somewhat when it's cold. It will fog up
when it's rainy. Vision is reduced in the dark. That night the elements
worked together to try and make my vision terrible. The Cat Crap worked
fantastically.

For the about 20 minutes.

I don't mind riding in the rain. I don't mind riding at night. I don't
mind riding when it's chilly out. I don't mind riding in the NYC area.
But that entire combination is another story. And when traffic is at a
standstill I go crazy. I hit traffic at the exit for 1/9 truck route so
I took the Pulaski Skyway into Kearny. I took the Central
Ave/Pennsylvania Ave/Fish House Rd. exit. This route winds through
trucking depots and parallels the Hackensack River. Dark road. Numerous
potholes. Not a problem on a sunny day.

Before I got off the Skyway I noticed that I was starting to see some
chromatic aberration. I knew that this was not an acid flashback. It
appeared that the Cat Crap was getting overloaded with moisture. Opening
the visor a crack did not help much. None of my normal clear-the-visor
tricks were working. I continued at about 20-25mph. The visor was
getting worse and oncoming headlights were making things difficult. As
Fish House Rd. wound near the Hackensack I noticed a large puddle ahead.
I picked my line through the puddle and slowed to about 10mph. I
suddenly discovered that the size and depth of the puddle were masked by
my obscured vision. The water was hitting my boots. I would have to say
that the puddle was about 6-8" deep.

Once I got onto Rte.7 and the Newark/Jersey City Tpke. I was able to go
a little faster and then, finally, my visor began to clear. I did not
clear as well as it would have had I not treated the visor with the Cat
Crap. It didn't even clear until after I was home.

My summary: Cat Crap is fine in the cold but too much moisture in the
air turns the Cat Crap into diarrhea.

Fish House Rd: http://tinyurl.com/3pvyd
Fish House Rd. starts at the lower left corner. The major puddle was
where the road jogs before the first bridge. The there is the big
left-hand curve before getting onto Rte. 7

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from."
            -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum