Re: [ST] Fwd: Long Way Round

Coupla comments on this thread and the Tiger vs. the ST since I have
both in my garage . . . .

As to the weight of the ST and Tiger being roughly similar. . . . They
may be, but the ST's weight is easier to manage because it has a low
center of gravity.  In the 16 months I've had my Tiger, I've felt like
it would drop so many times I can't count.  It's really gone over twice
- -- once when riding through mud and a second time when I was taking her
off centerstand.  BTW, she doesn't go on centerstand now unless the 6'2"
husband is around to take her off centerstand!

The ST is more comfortable in the twisties on relatively smooth road as
she is more stable and forgiving.  On a rough road in the corners, give
me the Tiger as she soaks up the bumps rather nicely.  As far as long
distance is concerned, they're both comfortable, but I would probably
give the Tiger a slight edge on a 500 + mile day.  I like the Tiger's
riding position better, but it does not have the same wind protection as
the ST.

I'm comfortable on the Tiger on dirt/gravel fire roads.  We did 90+
miles of this in Colorado near Lake City in September 2003, within 2
weeks of acquiring the Tigers and with no prior dirt experience.  We've
since hit some gravel/dirt roads in Texas and have not had any problems
to date.  Any concerns I have relate to when I have to stop on the Tiger
on gravel since I can't flat foot her, and since I got her, I've lot a
significant amount of weight and I can't "manhandle" her like I used
to.  I have to finess her more which is rather interesting, given my
height disadvantage.  Luckily, since I ride with  Richard 99 % of the
time, if I drop her, we should be able to pick her up, as long as she's
not in slick mud (don't ask).  That would require a third set of hands ;-)!

Thunderbike guards also greatly ease concerns about plastic damage (not
to mention leg damage) in a drop.  They did fantastic when she went over
in my parent's garage when I took her off center stand.  Luckily only my
Dad was home at the time so I didn't have to listen to my Mom's lecture
about the dangers of motorcycles. . . . . ;-)!

Lisa
'99 Tornado Red ST
'03 Lucifer Orange Tiger