RE: [ST] Blue Ridge Parkway feasible mileage in a day?

- --0-567671468-1105683868=:53655

Bryce wrote:

- -Considering your own personal experience on bikes
like the YZF and ST1100, what is a safe mileage amt.
to cover when starting from Reston, VA (outside DC)
and trying to get to Stecoah, NC in a day?  (if
possible considering the amt. of daylight that time of
year and road closures up there->

I did the BRP three times, never in one day, and I guess that would be a little too much for the average rider that I am. Forget about the Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Waynesboro. The speed limit is 30mph and it's packed with Park Rangers and RVs (too close to DC). Instead take Route 29 from Warrenton to Charlottesville and then Route 250 to Afton /Waynesboro where you can get onto the BRP. It's a long slab but you'll make good time. To give you an idea, I once did Fancy Gap (VA/NC border) to Waynesboro on the BRP and then to DC on Route 250/29 in eight  hours. On an other trip, I did Robbinsville (near Stecoah) to Fancy Gap in seven hours, going through the Smoky Mountains National Park. This last bit is superb but it's a big loop if you want to get to Stecoah. On Saturday/Sunday, you'll hit traffic on the BRP near Asheville and Roanoke and you will have more RVs and LEOs on Sunday. Keep in mind that the BRP is a National Road so speeding there is a Federal offence (guess that
 makes it more expensive...). The BRP is really twisty and really long, so your average is usually closer to 45/50 mph, whatever the speed limit is.

Don't ride the BRP at night, way too many deers. Dusk and Dawn are, based on my experience, not advised for the same reason. In June, that should give you a "riding window" from 6:30/7:00 am to 7:00 pm. Keep in mind that gas stations are few and that you'll loose time going out and back on the BRP to refill. Stop when you see one, even if your tank is only half empty.

An alternate route if you're running late is 221 from Adney Gap to Deep Gap (both are entrance/exit on the BRP). Nice road and faster than the BRP.

Jean Doublet
Sprint ST 99
Guzzi CX100 Le Mans II 1980

- ---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
- --0-567671468-1105683868=:53655

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Bryce wrote:</STRONG></DIV>
<P>-Considering your own personal experience on bikes<BR>like the YZF and ST1100, what is a safe mileage amt.<BR>to cover when starting from Reston, VA (outside DC)<BR>and trying to get to Stecoah, NC in a day?&nbsp; (if<BR>possible considering the amt. of daylight that time of<BR>year and road closures up there-&gt;<BR></P>
<P>I did the BRP three times, never in one day, and I guess that would be a little too much for the average rider that I am. Forget about the Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Waynesboro. The speed limit is 30mph and it's packed with Park Rangers and RVs (too close to DC). Instead take Route 29 from Warrenton to Charlottesville and then Route 250 to Afton /Waynesboro where you can get onto the BRP. It's a long slab but you'll make good time. To give you an idea, I once did Fancy Gap (VA/NC border) to Waynesboro on the BRP and then to DC on Route 250/29 in&nbsp;eight &nbsp;hours.&nbsp;On an other trip, I did Robbinsville (near Stecoah) to Fancy Gap in seven hours, going through the Smoky Mountains National Park. This last bit is superb but it's a big loop if you want to get to Stecoah. On Saturday/Sunday, you'll hit traffic on the BRP near Asheville and Roanoke and you will have more RVs and LEOs on Sunday. Keep in mind that the BRP is a National Road so speeding there is a Federal
 offence (guess that makes it more expensive...). The BRP is really twisty and really long, so your average is usually closer to 45/50 mph, whatever the speed limit is.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Don't ride the BRP at night,&nbsp;way too many deers. Dusk and Dawn are, based on my experience,&nbsp;not advised for the same reason. In June, that should give you a "riding window" from&nbsp;6:30/7:00&nbsp;am to 7:00 pm.&nbsp;Keep in mind that gas stations are few and that you'll loose time going out and back on the BRP to refill. Stop when you see one, even if your tank is only half empty.</P>
<P>An alternate route if you're running late is 221 from Adney Gap to Deep Gap (both are entrance/exit on the BRP). Nice road and&nbsp;faster than the BRP.</P>
		<hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=29916/*http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250";>Learn more.</a>
- --0-567671468-1105683868=:53655--

End of st-digest V2004 #735