RE: [ST] Blue Ridge Parkway feasible mileage in a day?

This is actually a good thing. Yes, fines tend to be slightly higher for a
certain amount over the speed limit but........there is no federal system
for reporting traffic tickets to the states. In essence it's a "go fast"
tax. Pay the fine and you're done. No insurance hassles, etc.
But do pay the fine. As one Park ranger told me "Even if you don't have any
money to pay the fine, mail the envelope in and tell them you'll send it
when you get it. Else they'll send the U.S. Marshalls after you." Fair
warning. I've always paid 'em promptly.

I've done the Parkway in a day - Charlottesville to Cherokee - with the sun
shining on both ends (469 miles on a weekday). Not recommended tho'. The
greatness of the Parkway is it's
subtle, unhurried, pace that makes you want to slow down and savor being
there - particularly if it's a midweek day in the early morning in the fall
or spring and you have the road to yourself.

Charlie McCullough
TZ250 WERA#90
Duc 748
Triumph Sprint ST

At 01:24 AM 1/14/2005, Jean Doublet wrote:
>Keep in mind that the BRP is a National Road so speeding there is a F!
>ederal offence (guess that makes it more expensive...). The BRP is really
>twisty and really long, so your average is usually closer to 45/50 mph,
>whatever the speed limit is.

End of st-digest V2004 #737