[ST] I'm going for it :-)

Well, last friday I took another testride on
the Sprint ST. To make it clear, the testbike
available was a '00 or so blue Sprint ST with
30.000 km and optional carbon Triumph muffler.
The bike I was interested in was one of two new
2002 (0 km, with the standard 2 years warranty)
leftover Sprint ST's that were imported by this
shop from Italy. The importer in Italy had to
stop importing them because Triumph wanted to do
it themselves. They were both British Racing Green,
probably a less popular color in Italy where you
more often see the lighter colors like red, silver
and the bright blue. The shop owner goes to Italy
every month top look for good trading deals and
has good contacts there, that's how he got his
hands on these.

In contrast to the testride I made the week before
the roads were now dry and there was no soutwester
storm. With Angelique on the back I took it first
on the freeway direction Amsterdam (shop is in
Weesp) and took the exit just east of Amsterdam
towards the Dutch IJsellake dike :-). A great testing
stretch for some slow riding over cobblestones thru
a small Dutch fishingtown of several centruries old,
followed by a smooth asphalt stretch, twisting it's
way along the ancient dike.

Angelique found herself comfortable enough on the
back. Of course it wasn't like the R1150GS or the
current T-max (or in fact, any of my previous bikes),
but still enough legroom and plenty of space on
the seat. I found myself again relatively comfortable.
It has been a while (ST1100) since I had a seating
postiion that's leaning forward, but I still find that
the most ergonomical position for my tall body. The
fairing wasn't bothering me even, it can even help me
when I want to rest my legs against them to give my
wrists a rest. But I don't think my wrists will bother
me too much on long stretches, the wind that makes it
over the screen seems just enough to take the load off.

The power was of course great (10hp more is nice, but
not really needed on this bike.. I would have been happier
with the bigger tank and mileage), the brakes were also
great. Also no problems with the suspension, although I
have to get used again to my arms getting more of a beating
(instead of my back). Shifting was super smooth and easy,
neutral finding a piece of cake. Stock seat is actually
fine with me. I think when trying the stock seat in the
showroom I fell in the same trap as with my ST1100. On
the centerstand things are just leaning forward more,
which can give quite the wrong indication when the knee-
to-fairing distance is not that huge. I also liked all
the switches, especially the blinkerswitch somehow.
Clutch was fine as well... well, actually everything just
felt fine :-). Steering I found light and easy, screen
was perfect for my tall size. Certainly not higher, now
the turbulent layer is below my helmet.

The deal was so good (8800 euros, newprice is normally
around 13200 euros, although you can find new 2004 models
for 11000 euros) that I just had to go for it. With the
knowledge that sliders are available as well as the
SW-Motech setup to mount 3 Givi/Kappa/HB/Krauser cases
I knew this bike will fit my needs as well as wants.
If it wasn't for the pro-oiler I would still not have
looked at chain driven bikes though. And I just love
the way it looks, especially in British racing green.
I'm also gonna put heated grips on it, probably Daytonas
(half the price of the Triumph ones). Can anybody tell
me where the heated grips plug is hidden and what kind
of plug it is?

I still have to sell my current 2004 T-max (so if you
know anybody, please forward to me!), but have made a
downpayment to hold the ST for me (license will be
there in 2 weeks). So for those still looking for a
great deal on a brandnew BRG 2002 model, there is still
one other BRG left for 8800 euros. Hope to sell the T-max
soon... it's a great scoot, but I can't wait to start
the riding on the ST :-)))

Emile
www.piloot.com

(this is attempt 2 to sent it past black hole)